Friday, December 25, 2009

Has anyone actually tried the master cleanse diet and really lost weight?

I'm planning to start the diet soon, I just wanted to know who has lost weight on this diet? And how did you stick to a diet like this? I heard Beyonce tried it and lost 20lbs in 2 weeks, it just seems unbelievable. Thanks for your answers.Has anyone actually tried the master cleanse diet and really lost weight?
Hi there, I'm on my 8th day of a master cleanse right now. I did one previously in 2003 for 15 days, and I really recommend it as a way to feel good and to give your whole digestive apparatus a break. And although I am losing weight, strictly speaking the master cleanse is a cleanse, and not a diet for losing weight.


What I learned from the last one I did was the importance of how you prepare for the cleanse and how you return to your normal eating patterns afterwards. I just started it when I felt I was ready psychologically, I made sure I got excercise every day (forget vigorous excercise; you just won't have the juice for it after a few days) and then when I was done I simply resumed normal eating.


This was a bad idea; I went through several days of uncomfortable stomach pains as my punishment. And, while I was on the cleanse, in 15 days I lost 32 pounds. But by coming off it the wrong way I negated most of that effect, and once my system had settled down I had lost 15 pounds in 15 days; that's still a lot of weight loss for that amount of time, but jumping around in weight is hard on your heart, and the idea of a cleanse is to improve your health, not punish your body.


Anyway, this time my strategy was to spend 3 weeks in preparation. I ate only a bowl of miso broth every day for protien, a cup of long grain brown rice every other day, and whatever fruits and vegetables I wanted in any quantity that suited me (except high fat ones like avocados and bananas) plus some oil in salad dressings or to cook my veggies in for lubrication. Then I started the cleanse.


When I come off the cleanse, my plan is to follow the recommended advice and to start by eating a monodiet of a single vegetable for the first day or two (it's going to be brussel sprouts for me, but it can be any vegetable that is easy for your body to break down; I wouldn't necessarily want to start with carrots or corn). Then I will add another vegetable for a day or two (I'm thinking either baked onions or cauliflaur). After that I will add another vegetable. I will keep adding veggies one day at a time for 4 - 6 days, depending on how I feel, and then I will resume my rice-miso-fruits-veggies regime for two weeks, and then I will resume my normal diet.


My original plan was to try and do it for longer than I did last time, but my energy levels have been seriously flagging and so now I have revised my plan and I will do it for 10 days only, which is generally considered to be the minimum amount of time to be on it and get positive benefits.


In the long term, I think it is my preparation time and my coming down time that will have the most positive benefits in terms of weight loss. In the three weeks of prep I did I lost 10 pounds (and that includes the turkey-feasting weekend long break I had at the end of that time while I celebrated Canadian thanksgiving with my family). Beyond that I have lost another 16 pounds since I started the cleanse 8 days ago.


But don't foget that to lose a pound of fat you need to burn 3600 calories, which means that for two pounds a day it would mean that I am burning 7200 calories a day, which I am CERTAINLY NOT doing with the reduced energy levels I am dealing with. I would be surprised if I have exceeded 1500 calories a day with my reduced activity level.


So I think in some way the apparent weight loss is a bit of an illusion and the way to make it real will happen with the time I spend controlling my diet for 2 or 3 weeks after I finish the cleanse.


As for sticking to the diet, it does take discipline. If you are unaccustomed to fasting then maybe you should try something like taking a juice fast every Monday for a while or try eating a mondiet for a few days (for example, eat only grapes or apples or broccoli). It will help you get used to what fasting is like.


The hardest days on the master cleanse are the first 3 or 4, while your stomach is shrinking. After that you get used to it and you may even find that you have a surplus of energy freed up because you are no longer spending energy digesting food.


I try to enjoy what I can. I have been having delicious dreams about food every night, and when I smell something tasty, I don't plug my nose and run away, I enjoy it for the beautiful smell; I just don't follow that up by putting it in my mouth.


I think it is also important to do something to stimulate your bowels. Downward pressure from your most recent meal plays a big part in giving you the need to poop. You won't be putting anything new into your stomach, but your body will still deposit toxins and other gunk in yur bowels for elimination, and it is important not to let it sit there for the duration of your cleanse where it can get foul and poison your body.


I have been using an herbal tea made from senna leaves, which you can get at any health food stores and even a lot of grocery stores, to stimulate my bowels. It's not good to use for too long because you can create a dependency, so some days instead I drink 2 litres of warm salt water which flushes through my system fairly quickly.


Beyond simply the weight loss factor I have also been using a tape measure, and I've been amazed to notice that while on the cleanse I'm taking almost a 1/2 inch off my waist daily. I feel like I'm already looking a lot thinner, and I think I'll be quite skinny by he time I'm done.


Anyway, that's how I'm dealing with the cleanse. If you do it then be careful, and be aware. Good luck!!Has anyone actually tried the master cleanse diet and really lost weight?
forget the ';fad diets';! they never last and you're right...how can one live this way? Best diet is to eat 5 - 6 times per day in moderation (to keep metabolism working-must eat to loose!) and eat a protein, healthy fat (i.e. olive oil), veggie and complex carb (no white stuff) at the same eating session. Correct food combination makes the body function better!This should become a behavioral change - then you WILL keep the weight off! Exercise and drink plenty of water (64 oz/day) is also required. Again, if you want to loose weight and keep it off follow this plan. Be patient with yourself too! Good luck :)
Your intuition is right, it is unbelievable. And any weight Beyonce lost for a MOVIE, because she's a movie star and GETS PAID to look amazing, she went on an extreme diet for a role, then gained weight back when she was done the film.





A cleanse, is a cleanse. A cleanse cleans out your body and system - it doesn't melt body fat. It releases impurities and stuff like that. But when you sweat, you sweat out impurities.





If you want to lose weight, there's no magic pill or cleanse. Just don't eat so much, eat healthier food choices, and exercise. I suggest you see a nutritionist so they can teach you about healthy eating. 80% percent is your diet alone, don't get me wrong, excercise is very important as well. Balanced eating, and frequent eating to keep your metabolism up.





Just remember, if you dig ditches for a living, you need to eat a lot to fuel your body. If you sit at an office....you don't need to eat as nearly as much. Depends on your life style.
It's good for a few pounds of water weight and then your body will fight to recover so make sure you adjust to a decent diet after doing it. Otherwise you will gain it all back plus. It has the same effect as an enema would have.
I wouldn't recommend a 'diet.' All you need is to exercise regularly and eat moderately.





Diets tend to accellerate weight loss but usually don't promote changing yourself, and changing your habits, which is necessary to weight loss.





FP

No comments:

Post a Comment